Jason’s mother thought that it would be great to have the family Christmas this year at our farmhouse. Hmmm, . . . . an old fashioned, family, farm Christmas, . . . . as I’m seeing visions of Chevy Chase’s Christmas Vacation! Ha!
We moved into this house in March of this year. The house had not been lived in for over a decade; yes, I said a decade. We’ve more or less been living with minimal comforts over this time, choosing instead to get the yard and garden going first. We do have new plumbing and electric, but no finished flooring, most of the walls still need repair and painting and there are no prep surfaces in the kitchen yet. We have made a little progress inside. We got our pellet stove installed a few weeks ago. It’s sitting on a half-done, newly installed pine floor that we’re planning on finishing next weekend. And the walls in that room have been repaired and painted.
So, on to the kitchen; since it would be crazy not to have a fully functional kitchen while hosting Christmas. While Jason was getting a little extra much needed sleep, I decided to begin tearing out the old furnace closet. It was in the kitchen and taking up some much needed space. It began simply enough. Take off the louvered folding doors, remove the trim and the frame for the door. Quick, easy—done. Next, I thought that we could just lay a new partial sheet of plywood in the hole where the vent was, but I discovered it wasn’t level with the floor. So I took off the trim for that and Jason helped me get the venting box and runs out from under the house. Those we’ll sell to the scrap yard for a little extra cash. Next came the walls of the closet. That wasn’t too bad and bonus—all the framing lumber was in excellent shape, so that will be repurposed into a chicken coop. But as projects always seem to go; we had difficulty deciding just how much of the wall and attached soffit should go. To make a long story short here; we ended up taking down the whole thing! Now we have bought back a fair amount of useable kitchen space as well as uncovering the brick chimney.
Even though it seemed like the endless demolition project, we are happy with the results. The exposed brick of the chimney will add charm to the kitchen and we ended up with free lumber for the chicken coop as well as some decorative pieces that will become a mantle of sorts over the pellet stove. (A place for us to hang Christmas stockings!) We also ended up with enough scrap metal to make a trip to the recycle center worthwhile. All in all, not a bad day!